The best exercises to help you get rid of belly fat
It is common for many women, especially after child birth to gain a bit of weight around their waist. And usually, it is very hard to get rid of this excess weight if you do not know what to do.
According to Robert Mukasa, a fitness trainer, losing belly fat primarily involves a combination of a healthy diet and regular exercise. There is no spot reduction since you can’t target fat loss in just one area. However, by incorporating specific exercises, you can tone and strengthen your core muscles. He recommends some of the best exercises for women looking to lose belly fat and how to perform them effectively:
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Place your hands behind your head, or you can cross them over your chest.
- Lift your shoulders off the floor by contracting your abdominal muscles.
- Exhale as you come up, and inhale as you lower back down.
- Aim for 2-3 sets of 15-20 repetitions.
- Leg Raises:
- Lie on your back with your legs straight.
- Place your hands under your hips or alongside your body.
- Lift your legs off the ground by engaging your lower abdominal muscles.
- Lower your legs back down without letting them touch the floor.
- Aim for 2-3 sets of 12-15 repetitions.
- Start in a push-up position but with your weight on your forearms, not your hands.
- Keep your body in a straight line from head to heels.
- Hold this position for as long as you can, aiming for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- As you get stronger, increase the time gradually.
- Russian twists:
- Sit on the floor with your knees bent and your feet flat.
- Lean back slightly, keeping your back straight, and lift your feet off the ground.
- Twist your torso to one side, bringing your hands or a weight close to the floor beside your hip.
- Return to the centre and twist to the other side.
- Repeat for 2-3 sets of 12-15 twists on each side.
- Bicycle crunches:
- Lie on your back with your hands behind your head and legs lifted off the ground.
- Bring your right elbow and left knee toward each other while extending your right leg.
- Switch to the other side by bringing your left elbow and right knee together.
- Continue this pedalling motion in a controlled manner for 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps on each side.
- Cardio exercises:
- Incorporate cardio workouts like running, brisk walking, cycling, or swimming to help burn overall body fat, including the belly area.
- Aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity or 75 minutes of high-intensity cardio per week.
- Strength training:
- Include full-body strength training exercises to boost your metabolism and build muscle, which can help you burn more calories throughout the day.
Remember, along with these exercises, maintaining a balanced diet with a calorie deficit (consuming fewer calories than you burn) is essential for losing belly fat. Staying hydrated, managing stress, and getting enough sleep are also crucial factors in achieving your fitness goals.
It is also important to always consult with a healthcare professional or fitness expert before starting a new exercise program, especially if you have any underlying medical conditions or concerns.